What fly rod is best for beginners? To help you start, we’ve compiled this list of the best fly fishing rods. Also, there are some fantastic recommendations for the best fly fishing rods for beginners.
When it comes to fly fishing gear, a fly rod is likely to be at the top of the list. But, maybe you want perfect casting and catching.
And also, having something that works. It will make the beginning of your trip much easier.
But how do you decide? We will dive deep into this review.
What Does A Fly Fishing Rod Do?
So, what does a fly rod do? Here are three basic tasks of the best fly rod with all necessary features-
- It does casting. Unlike a spin rod, it allows for the fly line so that it can be cast with power and accuracy.
- Providing smooth control over the user’s hand in the second duty of a fly fishing rod. It helps to control the rod when it’s floating on the water.
- A fly rod does both of the jobs of setting the hook on a striking fish and land it perfectly.
No doubt that, if you have the best fly rod in your hands that does all of these three jobs perfectly, you’re a gainer. Therefore, before buying a new one, your rod is feature enough to serve you will all three ways.
Why Are Fly Rods So Expensive?
To make a rod more substantial, the price rises. A rod with a greater tonnage or modulus needs fewer materials.
But a rod with a lower modulus and tonnage needs more materials.
Fly rods made of fewer materials are lighter and easier to manipulate. This is why it costs so much more.
Fly Fishing Vs Spin Fishing: Which one is Better?
As I said earlier, there are a lot of differences in terms, when you compare fly fishing and regular spin fishing. The only similarity I can mention is- you can still catch fish; with whatever method you wish.
The best fly rod would be completely lightweight and use to cast the line by false casting.
In fly fishing, we use flies instead of lures to draw the attention of fish. Flies like emerges, nymphs, dry flies, etc. generally play the role.
Mostly fly fishing is comfortably done on moving water. Yet, Stillwater is not so uncommon.
Usually, fly fishing allows for an upstream presentation.
Spin rods are used to be heavier. They are cast in a monofilament line with a single cast.
Artificial lures like imitating lures are used in spin fishing.
Stillwater or rivers are a more comfortable place for spin fishing.
It can be presented at any depth of water.
Hope you’ve got quite a clear idea of how fly fishing differs from spin fishing. Therefore, today we’ve decided to focus on the fly fishing and top 9 fly fishing rod reviews in here.
So, let’s proceed with the detailed buying guideline for buying a good fly fishing rod. But nowhere is a comparison chart on 9 high-quality fly fishing rods.
Three Types of Actions of a Fly Rod
As mentioned earlier, a fly rid does three things in a row. For each of them, there are certain requirements regarding the rod’s quality.
Firstly, for fast action, it requires a tip-flex fly rod. At the end of a tip-flex fly rod, it’s quite bent but the rest of the rod is straight. Such stiffness in the rod allows more power in the cast. Also, it’s good to fish with such a rod on windy days. They have some disadvantages as well. As an example, it’s to any handle for beginners.
Secondly, for a medium range of action, you need to have a mid-flex fly rod in hand. In all types of fly rods, it’s the most versatile one. They fit perfectly in any fishing condition. Usually, such rods are bent from half of the length to the tip.
Thirdly, there are Slow-action or slow-flex fly rods. They are completely flexible and arced in a shallow and graceful 90-degree angle. To fish small streams with slow action, these fly rods work best. Also, the flexible nature makes it easier to cast and beginner-friendly as well.
What is The Line Weight?
So, what is the line weight of a fly rod? And you would you even care about that?
In today, fly rod manufacturers have come up with a measurement, which defines how light or heavy a particular fly line can be. The units are called Grains. Before choosing the right model of a fly rod, you need to choose the right line weight you want.
There can be fly line weights of 1 to 14+ when it comes to fly fishing. In fly fishing, the eight of the fly line usually casts the fly. In casting precision and control, there can be many problems created if an angler chose the wrong line weight.
Let’s take an example. If you attach a 14-dry fly to a fly line that is supposed to weigh 7, there is a big chance that the fly will touch the water and you’ll lose control over your rod.
Best Fly Fishing Rods for the Beginners
Once you are determined and set your mind for fishing, you might be searching for all of the components and gadgets for fishing.
What fly rod is best for beginners, any idea?
So, move your eyes to the top 5 fly fishing rods that can be your water surfing mate.
#01 Fenwick AETOS Fly Fishing Rod – Lightweight but Strong
Fenwick Fly Rod is not a rod for serious fishing but it’s used for fishing by your father or grandfather. The idea of making this rod is decent because it is made with Nano Composite technology.
That means it’s a lightweight fishing rod and this is the best side of this rod. Its blank construction lets an angler fishing for a longer period.
From the 20th century, this rod ruled the fishing industry because of its fast action. Yes, its fast action lets you move and take your bait without facing any problem.
Its two-tone anodized reel seat can withstand some serious conditions like catching heavy bait. To support its durability, the woven carbon spacer plays a vital role too.
Because of the simplicity and lightweight design, most anglers love this fly fishing rod. Even they feel very comfortable while catching fish only for its AAA grade cork grips with composite cork tipping.
What We Like:
- Lightweight Design: This Fly Fishing Rod is best in simplicity. It’s designed in such a way that allows an angler to use its lightweight facility.
- Fast Action: Not every fly fishing rod offers a fast action feature but this one does. So, an angler easily controls the rod.
- Easy To Carry: Yes, it’s extremely lightweight that allows users to carry it anywhere anytime for the perfect fishing.
- Comfortable Grip: For the highest comfort, manufacturers use AAA-grade cork grip with composite cork tipping.
- Better Finishing: A fishing rod must have a perfect finish in every way and this one has a stealthy black stain blank finish.
Keep in Mind:
- Not for Heavy Bait: This fishing rod is made for recreational and light fishing. This rod is not for you if you are looking for a rod for heavy bait.
#02 Eagle Claw 3/4 Line Weight Fly Rod – High Quality
In the Fly Rod market, Eagle Claw Fly Rod should be the best for its great composition of features and quality components. This bright yellow stick can be ingrained into your fly fishing DNA.
At first impression, its build quality draws everyone’s attention because it’s made of fiberglass. But it can be the one rod for those who look for the highest quality angler gear for all types of fishing.
From stainless steel guide to strength, this rod has an impact on an angler’s heart. High-quality components not only increase the durability of this rod but also make it a reliable option for everyone.
For the best bait, this rod is field-tested. So, we didn’t think about the quality. Even its cork handle also has the quality that ensures the highest comfort while fishing.
This rod can cast pretty well in any type of fishing situation. Even though it is getting better day by day. Surprisingly, its hardware has strength that is unbelievable at this price point. It’s a rod for perfection and offers perfect fishing even for the newbie.
What We Like:
- Versatile: Manufacturer made this rod in such way where they can blend high-quality component that makes this rod perfect for all types of fishers
- High Quality: From top to bottom, every component of this rod is high quality. That means, it is not going to ruin your fishing day soon.
- Durable and Reliable, when a rod is made with care, that means that the rod is going to last for a long time and this one has the same feature we are looking for.
- Comfortable: The size of the rod and the cork handle make this rod more comfortable to fish in any situation.
- Simple to Cast: This rod is not going to make the casting critical for you. It’s simple and easy to cast.
Keep in Mind:
- Tend to Break: Without having previous experience of fishing, handling this rod is a bit tough and it can break that time.
#03 Temple Fork Outfitters Fly Fishing Rods – Customizable
Only a few Temple Fork Outfitters Fly Fishing Rod wins the heart of the professional angler and this Professional Version Series 2 is the best among them. This graphite fly fishing rod is an example of a perfect blending of high-quality components.
As a result, this rod matched all skills and levels of angler. We are impressed by its action. It’s not only smooth but powerful enough. This medium-fast rod comes with black matte finished blanks.
To make this strong, this has an anodized reel seat with aluminum inserts. For most types of bait, it showed a positive result.
It also has some additional features that make this rod more comfortable to use and that is its premium-grade corks with burled accents. Even its oversized stripping guides are also helpful to increase comfort. So, you can feel negative pressure from the opposite direction while fishing.
On top of that, we love its customization facility. It comes with a TFO-logo red rod sock. Besides, this decent rod can be used for smooth casting that also has more power.
What We Like:
- Higher Comfort: For premium-grade cork with the burled accents, this rod ensures higher comfort.
- Smooth Casting: To get a better fishing experience, the smooth casting of this rod means a lot to a fisherman.
- Build with Quality: Not every fly fishing rod offers a quality component but this one has all of them.
- Great Comfort: Premium-grade cork with burled accents ensures the highest comfort when you’re dealing with rough and tough bait.
- Easy to Customize: Few rods out that offer the option to customize the rod. This rod has scope for optional customization.
Keep in Mind:
- Not for Beginners: A professional angler can get most of the benefit of this rod. So, beginners or occasional anglers need to take care of this rod more.
#04 Orvis Encounter 5-Weight 9′ Fly Rod Outfit – Well Balanced
Orvis Encounter Fly Rod Outfit makes the job easier if you’re looking for a fly rod for beginners. This affordable rod is known for its well-balanced feature and for being lightweight. Few anglers tagged this rod as an “entry-level” option, but its other features make it different from others.
Hardcore anglers also can use this superb fly rod. It’s amazing, isn’t it? The state-of-the-art rod design makes this rod more beautiful with a smooth finish. As a full performance package, it’s suitable for the first-time angler who is looking to catch large trout.
Its graphite body made this rod not only strong but durable. The build quality of this rod impressed us in every way. For the very powerful cast in big water bodies, such material of the rod plays a vital role. To get a great performance this is the best outfit in its price category.
Every amateur should smile, right? Oh, forget to tell you about the reel. The reel is perfectly placed and has a positive click drag knob. Such a knob is necessary for consistent setting at all times.
What We Like:
- Budget-Friendly: This rod comes at an affordable price but offers great performance that also impresses professional anglers.
- Durable Construction: Every component of this rod is made of quality components that make this rod durable and perfect for any environment.
- Lightweight: Despite having some great features and components this rod is still lightweight, which means it’s easy to carry as well.
- Perfect for Beginners: This fly fishing rod is designed to make the beginner angler into a master.
- Well-balanced: Based on the design, every component of this rod is perfectly placed that made this rod a well-balanced option for the angler
Keep in Mind:
- Plastic Reel: Sad news is, the reel of this rod is made of plastic but it still offers great service.
#05 Redington Path Fly Rod Kit – Versatile
For all water fishing solutions, we found Redington Path Fly Rod along with the necessary kit. As one of the most affordable fishing rods, this one offers different benefits than others.
For the fast action, this rod is unbeatable. As a serious fly fisher, you must try this rod. Because it’s not only packed with features but also its moderate design will give you more freedom. This rod is a medium-fast graphite rod that performs well in both freshwater and saltwater.
As a two-in-one option, it makes fishing comfortable. This rod is equipped with a durable anodized aluminum reel seat.
You won’t feel any shortage after getting this rod because it is a combo pack where you’ll find path rod, path reel pre-spooled with Rio mainstream fly line, and carrying case as well. See, it’s the perfect package for your fishing. This versatile rod can give you a classic feel by its design that is hard to ignore.
What We Like:
- Lightweight: The weight of a fly rod is important and this one feels extremely light which also lets you fish for hours with no arm fatigue.
- Build Quality: Manufacturers give unbeatable attention to make this rod. As a result, its build quality impressed us.
- Fast Action: The rod won’t and the line won’t make any trouble for the casting and it opens the way for fast action.
- Versatile: This rod can be used in both freshwater and corrosive saltwater without facing any damage issues.
- Easy to Carry: As a lightweight option, this rod is easy to carry.
Keep in Mind:
- Tip Can Snap: If you do not take proper care of the tip, then it will snap easily.
Here’s What You Should Know Before Purchasing a New Fly Fishing Rod
Customers frequently find the procedure to be perplexing and scary. It can even be frightening at times. It’s not difficult to see why.
The market is flooded with a dizzying array of manufacturers and models.
We are going to discuss what you should know while purchasing a fly fishing rod.
What weight fly fishing rod is easiest to cast?
The length of a fly rod is crucial, especially for a beginner. Beginners should start with a length of 8’9″ -9′.
This will let them explore various techniques to get their line on the water.
What is a 9 weight fly rod good for?
In windy circumstances, a fast or extra-quick action 9-weight rod and line can deliver flies.
The 9-weight is on the border of absolute “heavy-duty” fly rods.
What is a 3 weight fly rod good for?
In tiny streams, a 3 weight fly rod is used to catch trout. These small streams are generally cramped.
The lake is surrounded by shrubs, trees, logs, and boulders.
What is a 5-weight fly rod used for?
Freshwater fishermen choose 5-weight fly rods since they’re the most popular and flexible.
Anglers use 5-weight fly rods for a variety of species, not only trout.
Bass, bluegills, perch, whitefish, carp, and even catfish may be caught using them!
Are Shorter fly rods more accurate?
Shorter rods give more precision.
You will need to throw dry flies to cautious fish in tiny streams. A shorter pole might offer you greater confidence at that time.
What is a 10 weight fly rod good for?
A 10-weight tarpon rod is ideal. Permit, roosterfish, milkfish, and most other more significant tropical species respond to it.
It’s also effective against pike and stripers, which live in colder waters.
What does 5 6 mean on a fly rod?
It refers to DT5 and WF6. The argument is that the bulk of the DT line with longer casts approaches the first 30 feet of a WF 6 wt.
Are you a beginner fly angler?
It is a very common question from beginners how much should I spend on a fly rod?
You should budget at least $160 for a new fly rod on its own. In that price range, many manufacturers provide good lower-cost rods.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Fly Fishing Rod
Experts know what to pick. Because they know their needs from their messy fishing experience.
But beginners don’t want to be in any mess, right?
To define a good flying rod, you need to know about a few buying factors first if you are a beginner at fly fishing.
Let me guide you to the things you should be very careful about!
Since there are many sizes of rod for fly fishing, you might want to know what size is good for you? If you are a professional angler, then you can get the large one for you. But for beginners, the middle-sized fly-fishing rod is the best option. You will find ease and also the medium-sized are enough flexible to let you play and learn.
Weight is a very crucial part. You can’t skip to check it out. What weight fly rod should I use? Before you opt for a lighter or heavier weight one, just ask yourself what kind of fishes that you are going to fish for? Normally, 4-weight is ideal for beginners. But for trout fishing, your 4 to 6 weight is generally cool.
Since your fly fishing rod has to be very subtle most of the time while it’s been positioning through flying, you just can’t randomly pick any rod length. You have to be very cautioned in this step. Well, it depends on your fishing criteria. If you are always about to fishing smaller fish, then the goal is any shorter length rod. But while it’s trout fishing, you must select a rod between 8.5 to 9 feet in length.
Whatever fly rod that you’re going to hands-on, make sure it’s similar or almost close to the flying reel. Otherwise, you will end up being in a mess.
Want to roam around often? So, get a fly rod that comes in multiple pieces to dig into your backpack easily. If you get a whole long 1 piece of a fly rod, it will be difficult for you to travel with it. So, before you hand down any fly rod, you have to look for a compact design.
I always say Pricey is a myth. There’s no solid reason to go for a very highly-priced fly rod. You have to make sure that all the quality that you need is presented in the fly rod. That’s it! There are so many fly rods from multiple renowned manufacturers. If you want to know what is the best fly fishing rod, then the answer would be very clear. The only fly rod that can satisfy your requirements.
What weight fly rod should I use?
Fly rods come in different weights and sizes. But you might have a query what weight fly rod is easiest to cast, right? Well, the direct answer is 9’ rod for 5 weight line can be the super choice for handling the different types of fishing situations.
Why are fly rods so expensive?
A fly rod is made of few materials but with a higher subsidy. So, even the cheapest rod will make you lose a lot of money.
Do fast action rods cast further?
The answer is “Yes.” Any angler who wants to cast into long or further distances will need fast action fly fishing rods.
How heavy should my lure be?
The weight of the lure affects the fishing. So, get a fly rod that will be not heavier.
What is the difference between fishing and fly fishing?
There is a simple difference between them. As fishing is an ordinary classic way to fishing. But in fly fishing, you will be able to throw the hook carrying line through the air to make it reach a long distance.
When it comes to fly fishing, it’s all about a perfect blend of grown-up skills and the right kits on your fishing tackle. And it’s no wonder that the greatest fly fishing rod is the heart of your fishing tackle.
Throughout our reviews, we’ve tried to extract the best of the rods from the current market, which will of course, not break your bank to avail. No matter you’re just a rookie or an experienced angler, this set of best fly fishing rod models should be noted in your notebook.