Pan fishing, bass fishing, catfishing- these are three popular fishing practices in America. But there is one type of fishing that I’ve not mentioned one particular type of fishing. Yes, it’s trout fishing. And I guess you’re here in this page because you’re interested in trout fishing rods.
You can enjoy trout fishing in lakes, river and deep ocean. But before you are going to your trout fishing this trout fishing guide will surely help you in every aspect of trout fishing.
What is Trout Fishing and Where to Find Trouts?
Trout is comply referred to the special fish species living in the freshwater. Species of salmons are char commonly named trout. When you head for catching this species in the freshwater or even in the sea, this special type of fishing is called trout fishing.
Commonly these trouts are found in the freshwater. Also, you can found them in rivers and deep sea. Along with lake trouts, you may also find rainbow trouts. Usually, rainbow trouts are found in the same; they spend most of the time in the ocean, that is why they are called steelhead.
Usually, the trouts live in cool places having 10-16 degree Celsius places. They love to live in the clear streams and various type of lakes. Another species is also available. They are called brown trout. Mostly trouts can be found in Himalayan regions.
River Fishing and Ice Fishing for Trouts
Here we will be discussing some trouts living in the river and ice. Stream channels are easy for finding this species of trouts. For brown trout, you can use the deep pool. Rainbows and other smaller brown trouts are found in rains. You can also find small trout in riffles. Riffles are also named troutlet.
During the daytime, the bigger crowds tend to crowd together and evening is best for their feeding period So if you can put proper lures in that time for feeding, you can easily catch trout in river and lakes. Now we will discuss riffles, runs, and pools and will let you know how to catch them easily with your trout fishing rods.
- Riffles are fast current but consist of shallow water. Trouts usually spawn below riffles. Riffles are commonly said as feeding areas in the morning and the evening.
- Runs are considered as deeper than riffles. This has moderate current. Between riffles and poles, you can find it. It has sufficient cover. It holds trout at almost any time of the day.
- Pools are the darker and deeper areas of t a stream. It is very deep, and you can find slow-moving water. But to catch large trout this place is ideal. Also, you can spot medium trout in this area.
Fishing for trouts in ice fishing is done under 4 to 8 feet depth. In cold water, the trots come in the upper deep of the shallows. But in the summer the small trouts replaces them. In winter they usually go to depth in search for food. They usually travel together. If your cast somewhat deeper with faster action in 12 feet you can catch them easily. Rainbow, brown trouts are examples of ice living trouts. Also, you can find Brook trout and catch them easily through ice trout fishing.
3 Must Things to Ensure Best Quality
If you are up for buying trout fishing rods, then you have to ensure these three things for the best quality rod. Those are- Length, Action, Line Weight. Also, lures and baits may have importance, but length, action and line weight plays the most vital part of trout fishing. So why these three things need to be perfect for trout fishing? We will discuss here one by one.
Length of the Rod
You can see both longer rods and shorter rods available in the market. Longer trout fishing rods will surely help and make your trout fishing fun. Longer rods are better for rolling casters through long drifts. Moreover, with the longer rod, you can’t even cast easily. It is commonly used to catch larger and heavier fishes. It is also better for nymphing.
Shorter rods are used for pure casting. This allows less roll casting. The lifting, turning and heavy fish landing facility that is offered with the shorter one may be suitable for other styles of fishing. But it is not well-recommended for trout fishing.
So if you are willing to go for trout fishing, you must be concerned about the length of the rod. Try to buy longer trout fishing rods.
Action of the Rod
The action of the rod is also equally important as the length of the rod. If the action is slower, it will be very much difficult while catching trout fish. Slower action helps the rod to go deeper and catch fish slowly. On the other hand, faster action helps to recover quickly if you miss any casting. Moreover, the slower action requires more patient while casting.
But faster action also cast better in a windy situation and helps you to cast longer distances. The fast action of the rod also has a super line speed for turning, lifting and weighing heavier. In more rapid action rod the tip of the rod doesn’t break easily so that we can go for a wild fishing.
So for trout fishing slower action or even slow-medium action is not recommendable. Though these two can have deeper action and superior reflex, they have a slower response. This slower action or even slow-medium action comes with a shock absorbing facility but will not worth you while going for a trout fishing. So faster action with the super quality response is required for trout fishing.
Line weight of the Rod
The line weight of the trout fishing rod also plays a vital role when you want to go for trout fishing. Commonly there are heavier line weight and lower line weight that comes with the rod and reel. Higher line weight will allow you to continue fishing in the windy and wild condition. Whereas lower line weights won’t allow you that. But it is great for stealing fish. It also offers great advantages for catching some spooky fishes. It also cost lower fatigue to the cast.
Getting Started with A Trout Fishing Rod
Trouts are commonly realized in wild areas. Also, it is grown up in a hatchery. But whatever the trout may in, you can catch them if you use proper trout fishing rods and have some basic knowledge about trout fishing. But this trout fishing rod also consists of a reel, rod. You need to choose them perfectly. Also, you must know how to choose the action line while catching trouts. Moreover, you should have proper knowledge on basic tackle and various lures.
In the recent market there seem many options while choosing the best fishing rods for trouts. You can find expensive packages and also cheap packages. Experienced angler uses the expensive one, whereas cheap trout rods are preferable for beginners or learners. Here we will cover everything you need to get started for trout fishing.
Consideration-1: Choosing the Perfect Reel for Trout Fishing
This is the very important part for catching trout fish with a fishing rod. There are three types of reels available in the market. Those are- standard reel, spinning reel, and spin cast reel. Though there are also some other fishing reels available in the market. You will also find, fly reels, electronic reel and others.
Usually, standard or conventional reels are not used for trout fishing. But there are some exceptions too. These reels are used for bait-casting. Spin-cast is not also used for trout fishing. It’s commonly used by kids’.
However, if you want to find the perfect fishing reel for trout fishing you need to choose spinning reel. These reels have better lining capacity and come with a better casting performance. So what features should you be looking for before choosing spinning reel?
- The line capacity of the spinning reel should be at least 100 yards.
- The reel should have an infinite auto-reverse system. There should be less or no back play.
- If the spinning reel is made of carbon fiber, it would be great for trout fishing.
Consideration-2: Choosing the Perfect Rod for Trout Fishing
Likewise fishing reels, the fishing rod is also classifieds into three categories. Those are- spinning rods, casting rods and fly rods. For the specific rod, you need to use same fishing reels accordingly.
As spinning reel is considered great for trout fishing, so using a spinning rod with it is highly recommendable. But before choosing you should know the proper difference between the spinning rod and casting rod. Though some of the fishers prefer casting rod for their trout fishing.
These two things can differentiate between a spinning rod and a casting rod. The eyelets and the finger grip. On a casting rod, the eyelets are small. Commonly it seems a straight line in a casting rod. But on the spinning rod, the first eyelet is large to the rod. This large eyelet is also called ‘gathering guides.’ Because it helps to gather wider loops for the spinning reel.
Another difference is in the finger grips. Most of the casting rods come with the pointer finger. This pointer finger helps to maintain extra grip. But the spinning gold does not have this grip like casting rods do. So what to look for before choosing spinning rod for trout fishing?
- Minimum having two-piece of a blank.
- The length of the rod should be minimum 6’7″. Otherwise, it would be difficult for trout fishing rods.
- The trout spinning fishing rods should have a light stiffness. Also medium light can be preferable.
- For trout fishing, the spinning rods should have at least medium fast action. But it can vary according to one’s fishing style.
Consideration-3: Choosing the Perfect Line for Trout Fishing
This is also another must-have gear that you need to have basic knowledge. Almost it is given free while buying a reel and rod. But you should also be choosy while selecting. What things to look for, then?
- The line should have a monofilament characteristic. This means it should be stretchy, should have a minimal knot strength and also should have good abrasion resistance capability. This monofilament characteristic should also include relatively better quality memory line. It should also have higher strengths.
- The lower the diameter, the better comfort to your fishing.
- A line should not be wight higher. It can be maximum 8 pounds in weight. Otherwise, it will increase the weight of the total rod and will occur difficulty while traveling.
Consideration-4: Choosing the Basic Terminal Tackles
Not only for trout fishing but also for every type of fishing it is necessary to choose some basic terminal tackles. So what is included in these basic tackle box for trout fishing?
- Egg sinkers having a weight of 1/8 to ¼ oz. Also for trout fishing, you need various types of split shots.
- You need some single-egg hooks and bait holder. Sizes 8-10 and 6-8 is preferable consecutively.
- Leader line which is made of Fluorocarbon having a test weight of 4-6 would be preferable.
Consideration-5: Choosing the Perfect Lures for Trout Fishing
If you are up for trout fishing before going for the best quality trout fishing rods, you need to be very concern about the lures. Lures are common creatures that the trout eat. So before going for a trout fishing, make you choose minimum one of them from this following list.
- Critters: If you are looking for some easy snacks you can pick some grasshoppers, beetle or even large bugs for trout fishing as trout fishing lures.
- Tubes and Swimbaits: Zooplankton is also another favorite snack for fishes. This can easily swim I the water.So while trout fishing it will be beneficial. Another thing that trout loves is swimbaits.
- Worm Imitators and Cranks: Using worm imitators as lures are the most commonly practiced techniques. Especially soft plastic worms can be a lure for trout fishing. Also, the crankbaits can also be used for trout fishing. Fish having sharper teeth are usually fall into this trap.
- Salmon Eggs and Spoons: Salmon eggs can be a great feed while trout fishing. Also, the flashy spoons having features is much effective as lures.
- Spinners and Powerbait: Many trout anglers love spinners as a lure for fish. They also love rooster tails which consist of flapping blades. The power bait is also essential for trout fishing. This power bait is available on the hook.
Things to Consider Before Choosing Best Quality Trout Rods
Till now you have got to know that there is a wide range of trout rods available in the market. So it is very tough to choose the best trout fishing rods for you. But don’t worry. Our buyer’s guide will surely help you within your price range to choose the best rod for you.
Most commonly before you choose you to need to be aware of the action that comes with the trout fishing rods, the elasticity of the rods and you should also be concern about the stiffness too. Suppose if your trout fishing rod comes with a lower action, the rod will easily bend and you won’t be able to catch trout. Also buying a faster action trout rods cost higher. So by confining the budget choosing the best one is always challenging. But here are some facts which may help you to chose easily while buying the best trout fishing rods in the market.
You need to be concern about the quality and the cost of some trout fishing rod. If you are running out of a budget, you can choose low-cost trout fishing rod. It won’t harass you while doing trout. If you have enough budget, you can head toward expensive trout fishing rods. But before choosing either expensive or inexpensive rod, you must be concern about the following issues-
- Rods having a longer length is good for trout fishing. So before buying try to choose a trout fishing rod having at least 6’7” size. This size will also help you for longer casting.
- This special types of fishing need a fast action and quick response. Otherwise, you won’t be able to catch your desired fishes.
- Also, the rod should have a good weighing capacity. As when you are up for big trout fishing, it requires a good amount of weight carrying capacity. Otherwise, your rod can break down into pieces.
- This fishing rod for trout also should have a good line weight capacity. This will help you in bass fishing with your trout fishing rod.
The below stated rod selection process would make your choice go easy for trout fishing rods.
- Try to choose fly rods from the market. As most the fly rods allow you to do trout fishing. You can find many Scott and Sage models of fly rods available in the market. These can lead an enjoyable trout fishing experience.
- Most of the fly fishing rod like guides of St. Croix models agree that 5-line weight is versatile for trout fishing. You can use this fly trout fishing rods while fishing in the lake, rivers or your local pond.
- Try to buy 4-pieces rods that than buying 2-piece models. This 4-pieces rod will help you to collapse and carry while traveling, camping or hiking.
Before going to buy trout fishing rods, try to buy spinning reel along with that fishing rod. The spinning reel is compatible with spinning rods. So try to buy trout spinning fishing rods. The carbon fiber body will add extra elasticity and durability to your fishing rod.
Be aware of the line capacity and perfect lures. Without these two all your money can go in vain. The rod should have a good line capacity and superior casting facility. This will allow you for heavier casting. Also, you can find many lures for trout fishing. You should have proper knowledge about lures otherwise you can’t catch big trouts even with your expensive trout fishing rods.
Final Verdict of Trout Fishing Rods
Finally, this trout fishing rods guide will surely help you while choosing the best one. Here we have tried to cover almost every fact that you will be facing while buying the best trout fishing rods from the market. Simply remember these few and final tips, it’s for both professional anglers and newbie fishers.
Go for a fly rod for trout fishing. Along with this rod type, combine it with a spinning reel. Also casting reel can help you in trout fishing. Try a high line weighing capacity rod. This will help you to cast for bigger trouts. Along with these, you need to have proper lures for each species of trout fish. For every species like rainbow, brook and brown you need to have proper knowledge about lures and bait. A basic tackle box is also necessary for trout fishing. Powerbait and live baits will make your trout fishing enjoyable.
Along with bass, panfish and also catfish if you want to enjoy trout fishing then these complete guides of having the best trout fishing will help you to fight with them to catch easily and enjoy fishing.